Saturday, April 19, 2014

Bringing Vacation to my Art


I've been in the studio this week.  I started out just playing around, getting to know my paints and surfaces again, pondering how to create a distressed and well-worn aesthetic to my work.



When we were on vacation a few weeks ago, I was so inspired in New Orleans and Mexico and Roatan.  I've loved the colors in architecture of New Orleans.  The muted palette resonates with my love for vintage.  And the color combinations make my heart swoon.  When you get up close to many of the buildings in the French Quarter, you can really see the layers and layers of paint on them.  I love it so much.  It just feels like there is a lot of history, right there on the walls, shutters, and iron balustrades.



When we reached Cozumel, I found the same soft earth tones, sunny yellows, weathered terra cottas. And lots of layers.  Yum.  As we walked through the old central district sipping icy cold Sol cervezas from the bottle, I was itchy to recreate this palette in my art journal.



Roatan held the same inspiration for me, while also adding some brighter colors to complement the muted palette.  I took so many photos of buildings, streets, shutters, stairways, fences, doors.  I felt so full and so inspired while we were there.  I wanted to do whatever I could to capture that feeling and keep it with me for our return home.



Back in the studio, I began to add layers of paint in colors subdued from my usual palette.  I've tended towards bright colors in the past, which I love, but the muted shades from our time in the New Orleans and Central America were really calling to me.  So I ratcheted down the saturation of color.  I laid down a layer of paint, rubbed some off, laid down another layer, and kept going until I had layers, colors and textures that made me think "old" and "well-worn".



These are a few works in progress.


It's all a work in progress, as is life.



1 comment:

Kristine Dubuque Ortega said...

Love reading your posts, Tammy -- Where you have visited, what you are doing - Where you are headed ... Brings me great inspiration! Xo
~Kristine