Friday, February 14, 2014

Because Nothing Says "Be Mine" Like a Red Velvet Cake and Buttercream Frosting


Don't you love an excuse to bake a cake on a rainy afternoon?  And to make it extra festive, let's make it Red Velvet!  Yes!!

I thought I'd pass along my red velvet cake love, because after all, this is International Love Fest Day (aka Valentine's Day).  There's really nothing to it.  I simply whip up my favorite chocolate cake recipe, then add a bottle of red food coloring.  Yes friends, you read that right: an entire bottle of red food coloring  That is not a typo.  Here's my recipe (simply leave out the red food coloring for a chocolate cake).

Red Velvet Cake

2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 stick of butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup ice water
1 bottle of red food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.  

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, then set aside to cool.  (If you don't have a double boiler, simply place a small bowl into a pan of simmering water.)

Cream the butter, then slowly beat in the sugar until fluffy.  Add the eggs and the vanilla.  Mix well.  Add the chocolate and continue to mix.  Then mix in the flour, baking soda and salt.  Add the water, then the red food coloring, continuing to mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.

Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.

In my world, no cake is complete without buttercream frosting.  Here's how I make mine:

Cream a stick of butter that has warmed to room temperature.  Add 4 cups of powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 3-4 tablespoons of milk.  Beat until smooth.

While you wait for your cake to cool for frosting, cut out "be mine" letters and  heart stencils from paper.  After you've frosted your cake, place them on top, then shake red sugar over the cake.  Carefully remove the stencils, et voila.  

I hope my valentine gets home before I accidentally cut into this!

Happy Valentine's Day!!  xxoo

No comments: