Tuesday, January 28, 2014

If it's January...


...I must be reading this.  I read it every January.  My mother bought it for me the Christmas after I returned from studying in Provence.  I left the day after New Year's, my senior year in college.  It was a grand adventure.  I was the first person in my family to study abroad.  The world was bigger then, with no cell phones or internet, my weekly calls home taking place at the PTT, or post office, in Avignon.  I can almost taste the warm pain au chocolat from the patisserie near my school.  It was quite cold there in January, but the sky was always brilliant blue, the perfect complement to the rust colored tile rooftops.  I loved Provence, and look forward to my next visit there.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying it from Mr. Mayle's perspective, which I pepper with my own memories and snippets from my journal that I kept while I was there.  It's truly a little escape for a few minutes each day during this cold, grey month in the Pacific Northwest.


The warm croissant with jam and butter goes a long way, too.  A bientot!

1 comment:

Dori said...

I love that book, Tammy! Oh...Where is my copy? Hmmm.... I've only made it to Paris, but I yearn for Provence! (I have some great-greats from there or so I'm told.) My current read is Beekeeping for Dummies! Yes...I want my own flock of bees. : )