Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Falling for Pumpkin Bread


I was so not ready for fall to arrive when it did a few weeks ago.  But now I find myself making the adjustment.  I'm lighting candles and turning lamps on in corners of my home to achieve "sunlight".  I've traded my flipflops for ballet flats.  And I'm baking.  Oh yes.  Fall has definitely settled in around here.

It was my mama's birthday on Monday.  She would have been 74 this year.  I was missing her more than usual, so I baked her pumpkin bread (and promptly ate several slices!  But, that's what workouts are for, right?)  Anyway, I bake pumpkin bread several times during the fall, because this recipe is just so dog gone yummy.  I though you might need a loaf (this recipe makes two, so share a loaf with a friend).

Meredith's Pumpkin Bread

2 c sugar
1 c canola oil
3 eggs
1 can pumpkin (my fave comes from Trader Joe's)
2 t vanilla
2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
1 t each: ground cloves, nutmeg
2 t cinnamon
Raw sugar crystals

Grease two bread loaf pans and set aside.

Blend sugar and oil with an electric mixer.  Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until light and fluffy.  Add pumpkin.

Mix dry ingredients together, then add to sugar mixture and blend at low speed just until moist.

Split batter between two greased loaf pans. Sprinkle raw sugar crystals on the top of each loaf.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool in pans for 10 minutes.  Remove carefully from pans, and cool on rack.

Slice and serve with a bit of sliced pear or apple and a cup of tea.  Relax.  Enjoy.

Bon appetit.

2 comments:

Anne D said...

That's a lovely way to remember your mom. [hugs]

Kathleen OGrady said...

Thanks for the recipe, it looks so yummy. I am craving pumpkin bread and have been looking for a new recipe. So tomorrow I am going to try this one out....I can almost taste it right now :)