Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Oh, Sew Fob-ulous

I love an accessory, a bauble, a trinket...don't you?  Call me a magpie, I love shiny little things.  And I've always thought that scissor fobs were the ultimate sewing accessory.  Haha.  I made a pile of them the other day, and I thought you might like to make a fob or two.
 
First, you'll need a few supplies.  Gather up some glass beads.  Mine are a mix of vintage and new.  You'll also need a large lobster clasp, a head pin, wire cutters, and needle nose pliers.

Load your beads onto the headpin in a way that tickles your fancy.

Take your needle nose pliers and make a little loop close to the top bead by bending the headpin around the one prong of the pliers.

To do that, bend the headpin first to a 90-degree angle, then

wrap the headpin around the prong, as shown above.

It should look like this.

Add your clasp, so that it sits inside the loop.

Now it should look like this.

Then wrap the headpin back around itself, as shown here.

Keep wrapping the headpin until you run out of headpin to wrap,

...then crimp it closed with your pliers.

Et voila!  A lovely fob for your scissors.

And, if you want even more instant gratification, I have a pile of them for sale at my Etsy shop.  Happy stitching!


3 comments:

Anne D said...

Those are adorable! Now I want to make a batch of them too!

A bird in the hand said...

Nifty!!
xo

Teah said...

Thank you Tammy! Love them!