Monday, July 15, 2013

A Quilting First


 I have this little light box on my sewing table for when I'm making applique shapes or tracing embroidery samplers.  I've been doing a little sewing room reorganizing, and I wound up with this little pile of treasures, and nowhere to put them.  I really wanted to stick them where the light box is, but then what do I do with the light box?  Quelle dilemma.  Then it dawned on me: a light box cozy! 

 So, I whipped up this little quiltlet, if you will.  It's sort of reminiscent of a Scandinavian flag, and I'm not sure how that happened, but I went with it.  It's my first attempt at machine-quilting.  Oh my nerves!  Machine-quilting is so fun! 

 If you look closely, you can see my stitches are very uneven, but you know me: the wonkier it is, the better I like it.

 I just sort of made up the pattern as I went along.  I knew I wanted it to have a sort of Matisse-esque motif, so I just squiggled and wiggled my quilt sandwich every which way.  It turned out in the end.

And now I have a pretty little bit of protection for my light box, and pretty place for my eyes to land when I'm tired of cutting fabric strips.  What are you working on today?

1 comment:

Anne D said...

Awesome! I would never have guessed that was your first machine quilting project, it looks really good.