Tuesday, February 5, 2013

This Flips my Skirt

I spent some time over the weekend really getting my head around all of the things I want to do.  The things that flip my skirt, squirt my pickle, make my heart sing!  Fa la la.  I have so many ideas, sometimes it's hard to shut my mind down.  I have sketch books filled with stitchery samplers, baubles to bead, quilts to sew.  I have file folders with colorful photos for inspiration, ideas jotted down on cocktail napkins for this book, that class, those products.  It's awesome.  And it's terrible.  Let me tell you why...

It's totally awesome to have a whole bunch of ideas.  I love it.  Wouldn't trade anything for it.  Seriously.  But this mess of ideas gets me into trouble sometimes, too.  Because it is sort of that...a mess.  Piles and stacks and pages and journals.  When I look at it all, I'm like a deer in headlights.  I can't move.  And I certainly don't know where to start.  So, I took the bull by the horns.  I pulled all of those piles and stacks and pages and journals out of hiding and onto the dining room table (because, naturally, there's no clear surface in my studio). 

And I plowed through all of them.  I made one ginormous list of all the ideas that flip my skirt right now.  And then I prioritized the list.  And then I filled up my calendar for the next 22 years!  Haha.  Not quite...but for the foreseeable future, anyway.  And it feels GREAT!  I have a plan!  I have deadlines!  Woohoo!  I'm so excited about what's ahead.

It feels so good to put some structure to my dream and to have a starting point.  What about you?  What's flipping your skirt today?  What are your dreams, and what can you do to make them come true?  You can, you know. 

3 comments:

Anne D said...

Good on you! I am looking forward to seeing what you create this year.

I'm still reorganizing/redecorating my little wee studio. It's not much, but I smile when I walk in there.

"What are your dreams, and what can you do to make them come true? You can, you know."

That reminds me of the Little Engine That Could, "I think I can, I think I can". My daughters loved that book when they were small. Did you know that the Little Engine was a she?

Sheila Earhart said...

Oh my gosh, I -SO- understand! I just got ready for a show, and there is NO spare surface in my studio either! (Not even the floor). It looked so pretty a few weeks ago, and now I get a little woozy when I have to pass by! Must get in there! :) (Because of course, the ideas are running rampant in my mind too, and I can't do anything the way it is now). :)

Best to you,

SHeila

Suzanne Reynolds said...

I have a big mess in my work room, and started painting it last year but not finished. So, since making quilts is my heart's desire at the moment I signed on to a block-of-the-month project. Figured I could manage that...until the room gets cleaned up and the painting job done. :o/
Best wishes on your endeavors!