Thursday, January 10, 2013

Up to Some Old Tricks


Oh, I love this little old box full of crochet hooks and double-pointed knitting needles.  It's one of the random things I took from my mother's sewing room after she passed away, wow, almost six years ago now.   When she passed away, I would sit for hours in her sewing room, missing her so much it was hard to breathe.  I would run my hands over her fabric stacks, sit at her sewing machine, page though her sketches for quilts.  I don't know if it helped or made it hurt more, but I would go there everyday.  Hmm.  Haven't thought of those days in a long time.  Must be the time of year.  The thinking of when this box came home with me.

Anyway.

I say one of the random things I took because at the time  I was a very basic knitter and I hadn't picked up a crochet hook in years and years.  Seriously.  Since I was a little girl. I just liked the box.  And I loved that it was my mom's, and that there was something about it she liked.  So, I grabbed it and took it to my studio. Put it on a shelf.


And it has sat there all this time.   But, I kept having this fantasy about re-learning how to make a granny square.  It was one of those things that I was going to have my mom re-teach me after my dad passed away.  I had a long list of things I would do to help keep her busy and occupied so she wouldn't be so sad.  What none of us knew at the time was that she was already sick.  Ovarian cancer.  She left me three months after my dear old dad.  I don't think it was a coincidence.  They were soulmates.

But I digress.  

Granny squares. 

A year or two ago, I mentioned to my best friend, Christine, that I'd like to teach myself again how to make a granny square.  She said she used to make them, and thought she could help me.  Christine and I celebrate our birthdays one day apart and have an annual trek to the beach for wine drinking, stitching of some sort, and singing along with "Mamma Mia" on the dvd player. 


So, at our birthday beach weekend last November, we set about re-teaching ourselves how to granny-it-up.  It turned out I didn't have the right size crochet hook, so Christine gave me one of her extras.  (See?  That box had been up on the shelf so long, I totally forgot there were even crochet hooks in there!)


I managed to get three whole granny squares done that weekend.  hahaha!  I suppose wine drinking and singing might have taken precedence.  I'm not sure.

 
 

But, I've been plugging away at them.  And I'm amassing quite a stack.  I'm ambitious...I want to make enough for an afghan.  I have many, many grannies to go.  But I'm uncharacteristically okay with that.  That in itself would give my mom cause to smile, as she often said to me, "patience is a virtue, T".  Because I had none.  I'm only recently becoming aware of having more patience in general.  It's weird.  But good.  But weird.



Anyway, I'm having such a lovely time of it, and can feel my mom's presence with every loop of the yarn. I feel so thankful, so often, that she passed her love of handiwork to me.  The stitching, the looping, the sewing...all of it.  It's such a part of me now, I think my life would be very flat without it. 

P.S.  Christine, remind me to return your crochet hook to you.  Turns out I have the right size after all.  :)

2 comments:

Anne D said...

What a lovely way to remember your mom! Are you going to add granny squares to your fiber art pieces too? They look like they'd work in nicely with your embroidery.

My dad passed away three years ago, and there are still things I'd like to show or tell him, or little camera-related trinkets I want to give him (he was a camera collector and photographer), and then I remember.

I'm sending you internet hugs.

Eugenia said...

Totally get it. Every bit. My mother passed 3 years ago now. I especially like the things she crochet and knit for me. I can almost feel her touch.

Thanks for sharing.