Thursday, January 31, 2013

Stitchy Goodness to Wear

 It's been a big week for my Etsy shop!  :)  I just loaded several of these fun textile pendants into my shop.  I don't know what's gotten in to me...soooo productive am I!  It goes like that, though, doesn't it?  Fits and starts, peaks and valleys, activity and quiet.  I'm learning to be okay with those waves, the older I get.  I can really beat myself up for those quiet periods: "I should be...", "I need to...", "Why am I not...".  I am my own biggest fan, and my own worst enemy.  Do you know what I mean? 


 Take these textile pendants, for example.  I stitched the little pendant parts last summer I think.  Since then, they've been sitting quite prettily in a little dish in my studio because I didn't quite know what to do with them next. 

 Then, as I was stitching valentine's last weekend, my eyes happened upon that little dish, and I thought, "pendants!"  Perfect.

 I originally thought about putting them just on ball chain.  But I really liked the tactile quality of the pendants themselves, and decided I wanted to continue that theme, so I cut some narrow linen strips and did a twisty-turny thing on my sewing machine with them to make "necklaces".


 I used vintage mother of pearl buttons and made a little loop for closures.  They're very shabby and vintage-y and fun.

I think you could wear it with a little t-shirt and a pair of jeans, or even with a sweet little cotton dress and a sweater. 


I stitched each one with layers of linen and vintage fabrics, and then hand embellished them with little textile hearts, or buttons, or...


a big rhinestone.  They make me very antsy for springtime. 

3 comments:

Anne D said...

I can really beat myself up for those quiet periods: "I should be...", "I need to...", "Why am I not...". I am my own biggest fan, and my own worst enemy. Do you know what I mean?

Oh, yeah, I do.

The pendants are adorable, and go you with the creating!

Lynniemay said...

I too know exactly what you mean! You are not alone! :) I really like these pendants! Thank-you for sharing!

jenclair said...

Oh, these make me smile! What a great way to incorporate tiny scraps & embellishments you love!