Thursday, January 17, 2013

Keeping Myself in Stitches


I love to get up in the morning and cozy into my favorite chair, with my furry friend, to do a little stitching before I go into the gallery.  It makes such a nice start to my day.  In fact, when I sleep in and don't get my stitch-y time in, it can make me a little crabby.  And no one likes that.  Believe me.

Don't you just love this little red case?  My sister gave it to me many moons ago, for a birthday, when she gave me a big box filled with red items.  This  was one of them.  I use it in the summer as a purse, but just recently decided to re-purpose it as my embroidery basket.  It's really quite perfect.  This is the view from my lap most mornings.  My mama made this quilt for me.  Love it.

I'm working on a little sampler, which is based on a painting I did a few years ago.  It's coming along quite nicely. 

Most of the shapes are outlined, and are just waiting for a little filling-in.  It's fun to watch it come to life.  I do a lot of crafty things.  And I enjoy all of them.  But my favorite, hands down, is stitching.  Whether it's a sampler like this, or a quilt top, or a series of granny squares for an afghan.  I just love to stitch.  It's in my blood.  All of the women in my family were stitchers, quilters, knitters.  It's a lovely lineage to come from.  And I love that I always come back here.  It just feels like home. 

I'm not sure where this will end up when it's finished.  A pillow maybe?  Perhaps a little wall-hanging?  It will tell me.  When we've finished.

1 comment:

Katie said...

It's coming along beautifully, I've been following along on IG! I wish I came from a long line of quilters and stitches but I'm the only one in my family to follow this path.