Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hand-Stitched With Christmas Love

I made a few of these folk art-y Christmas tree ornaments over Thanksgiving weekend, while I was heavily into an Alfred Hitchcock movie marathon.  Oh sure, yes, it would have made sense to be watching "It's a Wonderful Life" or "Miracle on 34th Street" or "The Family Stone"...even "Scrooge".  But no.  All Alfred, all day long. 

I loved it.

I've got the whole of December for my favorite Christmas movies, right?

Anyway, I thought they'd make a nice entry into Tammy's Very Crafty Christmas.
 
These are super easy to make, if you'd like some for your Christmas cottage. 

I simply cut two triangles from a bit of burlap-colored linen.  Use whatever you have on hand.  Could be cotton, too.

With embroidery floss, I just stitched a very loose "y" in brown, and continued stitching more of them right down the center of the triangle to make the trunk. 

I swapped out my brown floss for green, and stitched little "chicken scratch" pine needles - just a random series of straight stitches to resemble branches.

I sewed the two triangles together (right sides together), leaving the bottom open.  Once sewed together, I turned the tree right side out, stuffed it full of fluff, stitched up the opening, and attached a loop made of twine for hanging.

The heart is cut from red toile and stuffed, then stitched right onto the top of the tree.  So simple, and so festive.

If all that sounds like too much work, you can get one here.

O tannenbaum!

No comments: