Thursday, October 4, 2012

How to Start Your Morning Off Right


Easy.  Banana-Hazelnut Pancakes with homemade maple syrup.  Hello sunshine!  The recipe?  You bet!

Basically, for every cup of pancake mix (I use Trader Joe's pancake mix), I add 1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal.  Makes the pancakes all fluffy, with a little texture.  I follow the recipe on the Trader Joe's box, and add in my corn meal, a mashed banana, and about 1/4 cup of chopped hazelnuts.  This makes about 10-12 3-4" pancakes. 

In the meantime, I've got my griddle heating on medium heat.  I spray it with canola oil spray, and let that heat up a bit.  Then, by the 1/4 cup, I make pancakes.  I like them to get all golden and happy on each side.  Flip them onto the plate, sprinkle with a little powdered sugar, and top with maple syrup.  (I make mine with maple extract, sugar and water.)  Yum. 

I do a lot of variations with this.  Sometimes I'll leave out the hazelnuts, but stop with fresh strawberries.  Or I'll leave out the banana, but add in some canned pumpkin.  We love pancakes at our house, and I love to create seasonally-inspired renditions.  What's on your griddle?

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Ooh! These sound yummy! Will have to try making these pancakes.
xo
jeanne

Emi said...

okay...YUM! i love this pancake idea and will definitely be using it this week! thanks for the idea! i love your blog and am your newest follower! come follow along at chaseandem.blogspot.com XO