Sunday, August 12, 2012

Toilet Scrubbing as Inspiration





"Really, Tammy?  Toilet scrubbing as inspiration?  Where are you going with this?"  I know.  But stick with me.

First off, just so you don't think it's all-artsy-all-the-time over here Chez Tammy, I spent part of my Sunday vacuuming and scrubbing toilets.  And every time I do this, it makes me bitter.  Because, come on, who wouldn't rather be in the studio than face first into the commode with rubber gloves and a can of Scrubbing Bubbles?  But there I was.

And that's when it hit me.

I hate scrubbing toilets.  I hate cleaning the house.  I really, truly do.  I love the feeling of our house when it's all sparkly and smellysmellygood.  But the dusting and the vacuuming and the scrubbing?  You can have it.

And what I further realized is this:  I am on fire right now.  Creatively.  I've got a plan.  I've got a vision.  I have a dream!   And, where before it was very fuzzy and abstract, now it is crystal clear. My creative juices are flowing and the marketing maven in me has kicked into high gear.  It's like I'm firing on all pistons right now.  I don't know about you, but usually I get one or the other: creative inspiration or business saavy.  But not both at the same time, and certainly not both with the intensity that I have them now.  I have a laser-like focus on the destination.

And when I get there?  You can bet someone else will be scrubbing my toilets!

All of this got me to thinking: other than my loo, where else can I seek inspiration in my life every day, too keep these fires burning.  And I came up with a short list.  I thought you might like a little dose of it, too.

It can come from the most mundane (and disdainful) tasks.  Case in point, see above.

It can come from a photo or image found somewhere in a magazine or online.

It can even come from somewhere in the murky recesses of memory.  I recently created a new journal for myself based on a memory I had of how I like to put books together to write my "stories" in when I was a little girl.

So, I'm keeping my eyes wide open and listening very intently.  I don't want to miss a thing.  What about you, dear reader?  What inspired you today?  I'd love to know...

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Scrubbing toilets did, indeed, seem like an inspirational activity! I often find inspiration in other people's art. I marvel at what comes out of people and how we've all got so many ideas to share

Kathy, The Crafty Chica said...

Ha, love it!!! This is one of those great behind-the-scenes posts that we can all relate to! Everytime I get stuck having to clean, I end up daydreaming, next thing I know the toilet is spotless...pretty much!
Fun post!

Kelly Cooper Style said...

Very cute :) I love this!

randomactsofamy.com said...

Great post! I will take those moments of mundane house cleaning to zone out and think about other things...things to inspire me to get going once the cleaning is done!

Elizabeth M said...

Awesome, I feel like I can see you smiling as your writing! Very nice!