Saturday, March 31, 2012

Channeling Dad


This is my family.  The photo was taken about 6 years ago, at Cindy's 50th birthday party.  What a fun bash!  It's actually the last photo of my family that I have with my folks in it.  As many of you know, I lost them very close together that year.  I miss them both every single day, but it's not always sad, you know?  In fact, a lot of times it will be a funny story, or a mannerism I've inherited, that makes me giggle out loud (which often gets a few stares from people around me, if I happen to be by myself in the grocery store or on the bus - haha).  Like today.  Robert Frost's famous poem popped into my pea brain this morning, and it always makes me think of my dapper dad (wasn't he, though?  I mean, just look at that guy - far right, grey beard, next to my mama - they're both in yellow - that happened a lot - by accident).  But I digress...here's Mr. Frost's words...such a lovely diversion from the everyday path.  xo


The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

2 comments:

Cindy (JunqueArt) said...

What a great family photo and memories of your cute as can be parents! Happy Saturday!

Stacy said...

Great family photo! And great poem too! I always catch myself doing something or saying something that reminds me of my grandmother. She always had a tissue tucked up in her sweater or shirt sleeve. I still do this too!! Great memories, like you said not said, but warm.....