Monday, October 24, 2011

Breakfast of Champions


A cup of joe in my favorite "Do Something Creative Every Day" mug from one of my favorite shops in the world, and a little bit of stitchery.  A brilliant way to start the day.  Drinking coffee, making stitches, cozied in under my quilt, with the dog at my feet (literally, at my feet, sharing my ottoman...I ordered an extra large ottoman for that very reason.  Spoiled little pooch.)  Anyway...my favorite way to start my day.



I'm just working on some little stitched bits right now, that will eventually become a journal cover, an apron pocket, or an embellishment for a tote bag.  I've got a loooooonnnnnggg list of ideas that I'm working on, and it feels so, so good to have the creative mojo back!!  Seriously, it's been waaaaayyyy tooooo loonnnnggg.  (Oh, I just noticed, you can see how anal I am:  my embroidery floss bobbins are, yes, labeled with the manufacturer and color number.  Want to know another secret?  I have SIX boxes of embroidery floss, each skein re-wound onto these bobbins and labeled.  And each box contains it's own color family.  It's the one - honestly, the only - thing that is organized in my world.  Funny that I chose embroidery floss as my obsessive compulsion.  But I digress.)


So, I hope all of you had a great weekend.  It was a quiet one here, but it was sort of nice to get the toilets cleaned (my life: all glamour, all the time), watch our nephew play football, go out for a cold beer, and watch a movie with a big bowl of popcorn.

And, I'd like to go on record that I pop the best popcorn.  (It's so good, I smuggle it into the movie theater in one of my ginormous totes, whenever we go to the movies.  Haven't been busted yet!)

Here's my secret:  start with this popcorn - it's the best for popping (yes, the kernels, not microwave).  Heat a large-ish saucepan (one that has a lid),  over medium-high heat.  Swirl in about 2-1/2 swirls around the pan of olive oil (yes, olive oil.  Trust me, you're going to love it.)  Put in one kernel of corn, and cover pan with lid.  When the kernel pops, dump in 1/3 cup of kernels, and shake the pan so they get happy with the olive oil.  Once they start popping, turn heat to medium.  Shake pan frequently during popping to avoid burning.  When you can count two beats between pops, take the popcorn off the heat, and dump it into a big bowl for sharing.  Add a little salt, or whatever you like on your popcorn, and enjoy!  I seriously could eat a bowl every day.  Let me know what you think!


2 comments:

Laurie said...

Love the sweet projects you are working on. Sounds like the perfect day. I too love my popcorn. I eat it everyday!

Ornery's Wife said...

Each time I see one of your stitched projects it makes me itch to take a needle in hand. Alas, I have a book to edit, a table to paint, stockings to make, prizes for an ornament exchange to make and a few other fun but distracting projects to tend to. I am promising myself that after Christmas, I will devote a month to embroidery--and in fact I plan to make a crazy quilt stocking for myself, all because of your influence! I'll let you know when I have it done. :)
tm