Monday, September 12, 2011

The Write Stuff

I've been writing in my journal.  Like, regularly.  As in every morning regularly.  This is quite a feat for me, so I'd like you to be very impressed.  ha ha.

And, can I also please tell you that I simply love my journal right now.  Love, love, love.  I've finally gotten it right!

I've been writing in some kind of journal, off and on, for.ever.  Seriously.  Since I could write my own name I've had lots to say and felt compelled to write.it.down.  And I've tried, I can't tell you how many times, to create an art journal.  But it has eluded me somehow.  It feels overwhelming to me.  And the pages feel like one big stack of blank canvases.

But I keep this travel journal for us of our adventures.  It's a small and simple empty book I picked up a couple of vacations ago at Powell's Books at the Portland airport.  In it, I glue/staple/tape little mementos from our day (ticket stubs, postcards, menu pages, tour maps, paper straw covers, whatever I scavenge throughout the day), and then I write little snippets about what we did.  I am totally in love with that journal, and look forward to working on it nearly as much as I look forward to the vacation itself.

While we were in NYC this summer, I thought to myself, "why in the world couldn't I adopt this same idea for my personal journal?!"  Duh.  So.  I did!  (Don't you love that rubber stamp?!  I don't remember where I got it, but I have several of those cut out and interspersed on my pages.)

Can I just tell you how much stuff I have collected over the years for my inspiration bulletin boards, and inspiration books, not to mention the boxes and files of snips and scraps.  I've gotten it all into one central place, purchased my self this journal, and have gotten busy!  I've been making pages and writing, ev.e.ry.day. all summer long.  It' so fun!  The paper in the journal is a medium-weight, and I cover each side with different papers: vintage ledger pages, graph paper, fun papers I've found at garage sales and office supply stores.  That's my base.  Then I weed through my images, words and phrases, and other goodies, and just stick them on pages.  I always make several pages in one sitting, so that I have pages ahead of me when I'm writing.  It's so fun to see this stuff again that has been sitting in drawers/boxes/baskets, and to finally put it to use. 

No comments: