Friday, September 23, 2011

Falling Forward


Happy first day of Autumn!


I know.  I realize the expression is "fall backward" with the clock and daylight savings and all that nonsense.


Right. 


I don't know about you, but autumn is really like another "new year" for me.  A sort of prelude to January 1st and all of those resolutions.  I think of fall as one of my benchmarks for moving forward.


The lazy days of summer are over.  Kids are back in school, and even though we have no children of our own, nieces and nephews and neighbors are all piling into school buses.  School supplies jump into my cart at Target as if I've got a houseful of rugrats to send back to class.


Weather-wise, the last remnants of summer are hanging in there.  We usually have gorgeous weather in September and early October...truly an Indian Summer, which I love.  Late-blooming flowers are a cacophony of color, and people are out and about enjoying those last bits of sun-shiny weather.   Evenings bring temperatures cool enough for a sweater.


This fall, I'm on a major self-improvement bender.  It's amazing how one move in the right direction will encourage another move forward, and then another. 


I'm re-evaluating my creative business (stay tuned).  I'm eating healthy (and yummy - who knew?) foods.  I'm moving my chubby self every day, walking a few miles along our beautiful waterfront in downtown Portland.  b.l.i.s.s.


("Hello chubby girl, have we met?  I'm your healthy and fit alter ego, and I'm dying to get out of this fat suit!")


It's fantastic.  I haven't felt this good in...well, a long time.


These are little snippets of my afternoon walks.  Fall is definitely in the air, but the sun feels delicious.  How are you spending your time as the season changes?  What sort of changes do you feel tugging at your heartstrings?




2 comments:

Stacy said...

I love the fall too! It energizes me, fires, soups, slowing down. Glad to here that you are walking. A great way to feel great. Have a great day

Ornery's Wife said...

I am enjoying the weather, planning my garden for next spring, doing all sorts of home decorating projects, devouring Pinterest like an addict, and creating more and better than I ever have in my life. I, too, am eating better, but the exercise? Just housework for now.

I called a store about the floss--they only carry that line's machine threads, but I am going to go visit them next week and see what other lovelies they have. Sounds like a really cool store, and it is just a few miles from my house! Unbelievable!
tm