Thursday, May 26, 2011

Down-shifting.


Sometimes we need a little reminder not to expect so much of ourselves.  To give ourselves a break.  That to give our best is absolutely good.enough.  Because the world goes on around, no matter what.  I love this poem by Mary Oliver, where she states this so eloquently.

Wild Geese

You do not have to be good. 
You do not have to walk on your knees 
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. 
You only have to let the soft animal of your body 
love what it loves. 
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine. 
Meanwhile the world goes on. 
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain 
are moving across the landscapes, 
over the prairies and the deep trees, 
the mountains and the rivers. 
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air, 
are heading home again. 
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, 
the world offers itself to your imagination, 
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
over and over announcing your place 
in the family of things.

If you've done all you can do today, and still feel the pressure of all that's left to do, give yourself permission, right now, to stop and breathe.  You've come so far, accomplished so much.  Hold that dear.  Remember it.  Feel proud.  I know, we still can do so much more.  And we will.  But right now, let's just sit together for a quiet moment and just be.

6 comments:

Gail said...

Goosebumps. Such a beautiful poem.... such a wonderful reminder. Thank you.

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I do love that Mary Oliver poem - it's good to re-read it. Thanks for the reminder.

Nikki said...

Thank you Tammy, I really needed to hear that today!

Anne D said...

Thank you for this, I need reminding and reinforcement. Everybody expects me to be all things to all people, always there for all of them...

In fact, I think I'll print the poem off and put it someplace where I can see it.

Dori said...

Such a lovely poem, and just the right thing for me to find today! Thank you, Tammy!

Cassie Shella said...

Oh I so needed this post this week! Thank You:) Have a Blessed week.