Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Stitching My Way To Springtime


My stitchery projects definitely have a recurring theme:  springtime.  Rather than stitching and appliqueing with my felted wools and darker palette, I find myself drawn to my linen and cotton stash, and all their penny candy colors.  Even the designs themselves are beckoning longer, warmer days - I'm stitching a lot of flowers and leaves and birds.

I'm longing for springtime, though, aren't you?  I feel a titch guilty about it, because I'm not on the east coast or in the midwest where they are getting all of that snow.  It is drizzly and grey here, as is usual for this time of year.  And our summer last year was so very brief, that it left me wanting for more.  I guess all of that is prompting my muse right now.

So.  I stitch.  Sending out a little request to Mother Nature with each tug on my needle, "if you please, send spring our way early this year".


I even found myself perusing my gardening catalogs and websites over the weekend.  I'd like to do a few new things in my tiny little garden this year.  For example, I have the sweetest metal bistro table and two chairs, that were my great-grandmother's.  They are in dire need of a new coat of paint, and I'm sort of feeling turquoise.  Yummy!

I'd like to add some delphinium to the flower beds this spring.  And another clematis.  And speaking of the flower beds...ack!  We now have a dog living on either side of the fence, which is making Kip crazy.  He can't stand knowing there's a doggyfriend over there who he can's see, smell, or play with.  In an attempt to introduce himself to the neighbor's dogs, he's trampling my flowerbeds.  So, before my hostas and bleeding hearts begin poking their tiny tendrils out of the soil, I need to find myself some cute flower bed edging.  It needs to be tall enough to discourage Kip from leaping over it to the fence, but still pretty to look at.  If you gardeners see anything out there that fits the bill, please don't hesitate to let me know.

 Wherever you are today, I hope you're warm and safe and happy.  Thanks for popping by.

1 comment:

Anne D said...

I love the subtle colors on this piece. Your blog always makes me smile.