Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rainy Day Journal

It was rainy and grey this morning.  A good morning for a few journal pages.

I've not been good about working in my art journal.  The truth is, I did several pages in this journal that I really didn't like.  Now.  I know, I know.  My art journal is just for me, no one else needs to see it, yada yada, yada.  But, when I opened up this journal and saw the pages and found them to be uninspiring, I sort of think that defeats the whole purpose for an art journal.  It should inspire me.  Well, anyway, that's what I think. 

So, I got out my gesso, and slathered a bunch right over those uninspired pages.  Then I painted over the gesso.  The whole thing sort of gave the paper a glossy finish, and it no longer resembles the beautiful 140# cold press watercolor paper that it is.  But.  I'm making it work.  And it's only the first ten pages or so (yes, I wiped out ten, count them t-e-n, pages).  And in the end, I'm much happier with my journal, and think I'll be more motivated and inspired to work in it regularly.  That, at least, is the hope.

Don't you love this vintage photo.  I call it 'the three graces'.  Adorable ladies, all in their hats, and one of them too shy(?) to show her face, her friends looking on, giggling.  I always wonder what was happening when a photo like this was taken.  What was so funny?  Sometimes I'll just make up my own little stories, and tuck them onto my journal page.  I haven't yet with this one, but the temptation to do so is strong. 

All in all, I'm happy that I started the whole thing over.  I've been toying with the idea for months, and just haven't had it in me to do the work of covering the old stuff up.  But now that it's done, and I have all these pristine (albeit glossy) white pages, my muse is teasing me a bit with whispers, enticing me to attempt some new techniques.  Fun.

In other news, my oldest nephew - Hogan, who is a sophomore in high school, is currently playing Jay Gatsby in his school's production of The Great Gatsby.  I remembered reading the book in high school myself, but couldn't for the life of me remember the storyline, so it was fun to see the play with fresh eyes.  Last night's adaptation was unique, and I really enjoyed it.  Plus, hello?  So proud of aforementioned nephew.  I know I'm a titch biased, but he was remarkable.  And so grown up!  Wow.  Really was a fun night, having started the evening with my brother and his family for burgers and beers.  Then we all went to the play together (Hogan is my sister's oldest boy - if you're trying to follow my family tree).  So.  A fun family night.  Afterwards, Hogan came out and said the same thing he always says to me after I've been to one of his productions:

"I knew you were here tonight!  I heard your unique (read: loud) laugh in the audience."  Followed by hugs all around, and excited chatter about the next family gathering.  Lucky, lucky girl, this one.

4 comments:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Congrats on being brave enough to take out the gesso! Your pages are looking fun now.

The Dreaming Bear said...

Great pages! And kudos to you for making them what YOU want them to be. They are wonderful! And congrats to your nephew on a great performance!

Sandra L. said...

Fitzgerald is my favorite author and I have read "Gatsby" several times. Didn't care for the film version, however. I hope the play was better--and I'm sure Hogan made a dashing Gatsby!

ParisBreakfasts said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your journals!!
Such fun.