Monday, March 7, 2011

Joy.Full.


Joy lies in the fight, in the attempt, in the suffering involved, not in the victory itself.  Mahatma Ghandi

I like this quote.  I found it just now, while google-ing "quotes on joy" for this post, for you, for me.   My mind and my heart are both really working overtime on this whole concept of joy, and joy for the journey, and focusing less on the destination.

In the hurry-hurry-I-have-so-much-to-do mode in which I often find myself caught up, I have to physically stop my rushing around, put my hand to my heart, and take three deep breaths (did you know that taking three deep breaths - breathe in 1-2-3, breathe out 1-2-3, repeat two more times - will actually slow your heart rate?  It's true.).  Then, while I'm still, I let my eyes land on something and just take a moment to notice it.

When I did that this morning, I snapped this shot in my garden.  Things are soggy and wet, but still pretty in their own way.  I thought if I had this snapshot-in-time during a busybusy morning, it might remind me what I'll miss while I'm fighting, attempting, and suffering my way to whatever victory I'm seeking.  It's all a process.  And that in itself is joyful.

Hope you're finding joy in your day, too.

2 comments:

Jenni Horne said...

I am big puffy hearting your blog right now!! The stitched work is amazing! And your stories with the posts are lovely. HOpe to meet you when I come to Portland in Oct!

Jenni Horne said...

I am big puffy hearting your blog right now!! The stitched work is amazing! And your stories with the posts are lovely. HOpe to meet you when I come to Portland in Oct!