Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Coffee + Stitches = Morning

On the mornings that I go to the gallery, I like to wake up really early and do some stitching.  It just starts my day off right to do a little something quiet and creative before I do anything else.  It feels a bit sacred, a little meditative, and very peaceful.  

I love the quietness of the house, with only the sound of the coffee brewing, Kip's kibble-nibbling, the tick tick tock of the big clock.  I light a little candle on the kitchen counter, and cozy in underneath a quilt in my favorite spot.  I only stitch and sip for a half an hour or so, but I wouldn't trade anything for that quiet little block of time that is all my own. 

This is the piece I was working on at Christine's the other night.  It's the front of a bag.  I just love the little stylized daisy chain on the blue linen strip.  I haven't incorporated hand-embroidery into any of my bag designs before, but I wanted to give it a try.  This a new bag design that I ought to have finished by the weekend for a bit of "wear-testing".  I always like to use a bag for a bit, see how it feels, make sure the position of the pockets is right, test the strap for weight distribution (since I have a tendency to design big bags - and fill them up accordingly), and just make sure it's perfectperfect before I write out a pattern or make any up to sell on my Etsy shop or at events.
When I got finished with the daisy chain, I decided it might be fun to add some black machine-stitched lines along the strip edges.  Haven't done that yet...I think it will be a nice detail.  But, in the meantime, don't you just love these colors?  Yummy-yum-yum.  The fabrics are truly large scraps from my scrap bins.  I pulled big enough pieces that I could cut long strips.  I'm using some yardage that I had on my fabric shelf for the lining and strap.  It's so much fun when a bag comes together from scraps and fabrics that I already have.  I can hardly wait to get this one finished and take it for a spin! 

I originally sketched this as a shoulder bag, but I think I'm going to go back to my old stand-by and make it an across-the-body-bag.  I think the bag itself is going to be to big (read: loaded up and too heavy) to wear on the shoulder, and will be much better if the strap is wider and padded and goes across the body to distribute the weight better.  I've got one large shoulder bag that I love, but when I fill it up, it's sort of a nightmare to carry.  I suppose I could write the pattern with both options.  Maybe not everyone fills their bags to the hilt like I do.  How about you?  Are you a bag filler, or a minimalist?

4 comments:

Anne D said...

Ooh, pretty! I love the combination of fabrics, and the embroidery is a perfect accent.

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I like your stitching! And yes, I am a serious bag filler. I try to give myself smaller bags so that I can't develop shoulder and back problems from big bags. ;-) But I stuff small bags to the gills, and it gets a little ridiculous trying to find anything in them without emptying out half of the contents. I'm thinking about making a slightly larger bag, but maybe I should give myself a weight limit and stick to it, too!

Juanita said...

I'm a minimalist, and almost embarrassed to say it. But given a big bag, I'll stuff it to the gills with items that I will never pull out, but seem to need access to, just in case.
I love the fabrics and cheery colors. What a gift to give yourself, time to stitch. Something I keep meaning to do.
Have a blessed day!

Cassie Shella said...

I love your stitching! I do the same thing from about 6:30am - 7:00am every morning before I get the girls up for school. It's my deditation time, and I'm very cranky when I don't get it:) Love your art journal too - have a Blessed week.