Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Heart Art No. 20

Heart Art No. 20 - As you can see, I'm still stitching.  It's just that it's so much fun to do on these cold, grey days...curling up under a quilt, whitefurrydog at my feet, a cuppacuppa and a little nibble, some jazz or classical music playing - makes.me.happy.

I cut my shapes free-hand...in previous pieces I drew a pattern - also free-hand - then traced it onto my fabric.  But, since my shapes are so simple, that just seemed like too much work.  Plus, I just like the sort of imperfection of the whole thing, including the wonky letters and words.  Makes it seem old and comfy to me.  The background is a piece of aqua-colored linen.  Oh, how I love, love, LOVE stitching on linen.  It may have ruined me for anything else.  Although, this weekend I have an idea for some tea towels, so I'm going to stitch onto a flour sack towel.  (See: quilt, furrydog, cuppacuppa above.)


I like this one so much, I think I might need to paint-collage it, also.  


In other news, my "Bloom" painting made it onto an Etsy Treasury.  I'm thrilled, delighted, and tickled pink!   It's a very fun treasury, and you can see it over here

Snow is threatening here in Portland, starting tonight.   We've had pretty mild weather this winter, and with all the tomfoolery weather-wise in other parts of the country, I am not complaining one bitty bit.  (See: quilt, furrydog, cuppacuppa above.)  Stay warm and cozy, friends. 

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi Tammy,
Love the courageous, strong and beautiful piece. I'm trying to be two of those things right now. Somedays I do better than others. Thanks so much for the hugs you surprised me with the other day.
Love ya,
jeanne
xoxo

The Dreaming Bear said...

Greetings from Iowa! So happy to find your lovely blog through Sheep Floozy! This little bird is just too cute! Love your painting too! Thanks for being such an inspiration! Cheers!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Love that birdie! It does remind me of some vintage stitching I saw in an antique/vintage store yesterday.

We're cold in Spokane, too - I'm glad you've figured out how to make the best of the weather. . . .

Cassie Shella said...

I always feel warm and cozy after visiting your blog! Your pieces are always so sweet and comforting. Congrats on your Etsy Treasury:) Have a warm, and cozy week - with hopefully not too much snow. We've definately had enough here in north east Ohio!

Paty Patch said...

So lovely!!
this stitch you use in the letters, how is it called?
To me, that's perfect!

Tammy Gilley said...

Hi Paty,

It's called the "back stitch" and it's my favorite for lettering! Thanks for popping by. cheers...tammy