Sunday, February 13, 2011

Heart Art No. 13


Heart Art No.13 - I made this sweet little heart from a vintage doll's quilt that was very raggedy and well-loved.  It was falling apart when I bought it at one of my favorite antique malls.  But I loved the colors and the wonderful feedsack cloth patches so much, that I brought it home and re-purposed it into a bunch of little hearts that I've long since sold.  This is the last one.  I hope I'll stumble upon a little quilt again soon when I'm out treasure-hunting.


I finished a couple of paintings yesterday.  Cheery cheers to you.  I love the vintage feel of this one - NEWS FLASH:  we interrupt this program to pause and enjoy the sunshine pouring into the window...aaaaahhhh bliss.  Okay...I'm back.  Anyway, I had this chipboard stencil of the word "cheers".  I got it at The Bullseye Boutique a hundred years ago.  I've had it sitting on my shelf, just by itself in all its cheery goodness.  Meanwhile, I've been struggling with how to use this long skinny canvas.  Remember these commercials: "Hey!  You got chocolate in my peanut butter!"  "Hey!  You got peanut butter on my chocolate!"  And voila, Reese's peanut butter cups (must get to The Boutique and get some spring-color-foil-wrapped peanutty-chocolatey goodness as soon as I'm finished posting).  Same thing happened here.  I set canvas on previously-mentioned shelf, next to "cheers" and said, "Hey!  Cheers, you fit onto that canvas!  Jump on over here!"  The canvas was already painted a lovely cherry red.  I added polka dots and a vintage paper moasic-ed border.  Then I traced "cheers" onto black and white gingham fabric, and affixed that to my canvas.  I think it needs to go into my dining room.


This is the second painting I finished.  I'm playing around with different textures and media to try to get a rusty painted metal feeling in my focal points, in this case the flower.  I want it to look like these:

BUNCH OF LOVE FLOWERS BY KATHRYN ARNETT, SET OF 12

I've got a little work to do...not quite there yet.  But I am LOVING the background of my painting.  It's all fade-y and weathered-y, like the side of an old building.  And that's exactly what I was hoping for.  I'm so in love with it, that I've started three more backgrounds on canvas.  With that, I'm off like a prom dress!   Those canvas (canvases?  canvi?)  are ready for the next layer.

1 comment: